Szkoła Podstawowa nr 34
w Katowicach im. Mikołaja Kopernika

HISTORY
Ligota is one of the nicest districts of the city of Katowice. It has at present two elementary schools. Our school, 34 Nicholas Copernicus Elementary School is situated at 3 Zielonogorska Street. The school building has been a part of the surrounding landscape for such a long time that one may think it has always been here. The beginnings of the school date from 1952, when the first building works were originated. On January 1, 1953 Mr Jerzy Adamus was appointed the very first principal of the school and the supervisor of the construction works. In autumn 1956 the new building was ready to admit young students, who had previously studied in the temporary school seat, on one of the floors belonging to the VII High School. We all remember well the thrill we got on entering the school for the first time. There was the Plenty Horn, full of sweets, a schoolbag full of books, a beloved teacher in the classroom and the first crooked letters in the notebooks. Then everything went on and on, parents' meetings, prizes and punishments, parents' great pride and sometimes - great shame. Surely, not all our graduates have nice memories of their times spent here, but they must be a real minority. How do we know? Well, many years after their own graduation, many of our ex-students bring in their own children, to let them start their great adventure with learning just here, cared for by our brilliant and experienced staff.

FACTS FROM HISTORY
Our school belongs to the so-called "schools of One Thousand Years", because after World War II there was a project to build one thousand schools to commemorate the thousand's anniversary of the Polish state. Its construction was originated in 1952 and took almost four years. The first students started their education here in September 1956. In those days students wore dark blue school uniforms and the school symbol attached to their sleeves. The 50s and the 60s were difficult years for education in Poland. There were not enough teachers and not enough buildings, so classes were huge - there were about fifty students in each class. It often happened, which may sound incredible for us nowadays, that parents attended lessons together with their children! What seems strange, people wanted so much to learn in those days that there were absolutely no problems with the discipline! In the 70s there was a tendency in Polish education to "educate through work". Quite a popular trend in communist countries. So our school was actively involved in various works for the environment, such as tidying the area, helping the elderly etc. It was also the time when Poland was strengthening its bonds with the Soviet Union, so schools had to organise many long, boring ceremonies, during which there were lectures, poems and patriotic songs. It was a very good time for after-school activities. Many things were organised for students. We had a scouts team, puppet theatre, frequent competitions, sports teams, tourist clubs, as well as the so-called "subject clubs", broadening the students' knowledge in the areas of Polish, Physics, Chemist